Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why Am I Here?

A month ago, I wasn't aware of fitness or weight loss blogs... now I spend way too much time reading them. I've been on a seemingly endless plateau for months now- okay, that's not "endless" but "seemingly endless" is quite apt. I'll save My History of Fatness for another post; most recently I've gone from 194 pounds just after Christmas to 180 today, which feels glacial to me. I'm 5' 6" and I start to look skeletal at 135, so I'm shooting for about 140.

I'm hoping that by blogging I'll be able to give myself a place to sort out my feelings about weight loss, diet and exercise and hopefully (someday) gather support. That's what I've really enjoyed as I've spent the last month looking through weight loss blogs- it seems like a wonderful place to gain support. It's fascinating to read other people's success stories (even the not-so-successful stories are fascinating).

A little about me: I live in Northern California with my husband and two sons (14 and 5- yes, I've extended my child-raising years wa-a-a-a-a-ay too long). I'm a part-time college librarian and instructor. I love to garden and bake and read about crafts (I never have time to actually do any crafting, though). I'm in my late mid-forties (okay, I'm 48). In my yout' I loved The Clash and Elvis Costello-- I still love them, which is why, though I'm growing out a head of mostly gray hair, I have a purple streak lurking underneath my chin-length bob. I tend to overuse parentheses (you may have noticed this already).

7 comments:

  1. I'm in my late mid-40s too. Some would call it 50, but I like the sound of the former. :)

    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much blogging helps, both on the accountability front and the amount of inspiration. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I overuse parentheses and commas . . . and dashes . . . and some other things . . . LOL

    I spend way too much time reading and not enough time DOING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh goody someone else who overuses parentheses! Can we start a club?

    Reading (and writing!) blogs is so addicting. And it helps a huge amount with getting support and making progress with your goals.

    PS The above parentheses were entirely unintentional :)

    - Sagan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard! I hope you find the blogging community a helpful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to wake up to comments- thank you all! I had a very strict English teacher in 10th grade and I think it gives me an illicit thrill to overuse parentheses and exclamation points and start sentences with "and."

    Blog-reading is addicting- I hope blog-writing will be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging helps immensely!

    I like parentheses too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on winning the PB2 from Cammy; you will love it. I've been blogging a little over a year and have my ups and down with weight loss. I'm on a up (as in weight is up) as I write to you. I am 50ish (o.k. 55). You will find a lot of support here in Bloggeritaville. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete